Here’s an example of one of the first ‘pathways’ I’ve written for my diploma (not counting my ALP). I’m mostly posting it here so I can have a reminder of what I proposed to do. I don’t think I have quite got the hang of this strategic planning/designing malarky, so it’ll be interesting to see how my skills develop. I’ll post my final pathway, when it’s done and possibly links to other people’s trainee teacher pathways.
Trainee Teacher Pathway for Beth Tilston
What are my strengths and weaknesses as a trainee Permaculture teacher?
My strengths as a trainee Permaculture Teacher:
- I have 5+ years of teaching experience including spending a year doing a PGCE
- I convene and teach my own scythe courses and bee keeping courses
- I have done an intro course, a PDC and I am doing my diploma
- I am a competent generalist…
My weaknesses as a trainee Permaculture Teacher:
- I haven’t taught anything classroom based for a long time (I’m out of practice)
- I feel like I am still getting to grips with the design cycle and the principles – I feel I need more concrete examples of these/to have gone around the design cycle a couple of times before I’ll feel really confident about teaching it.
- I don’t know many Permaculture specific exercises
- I am a competent generalist…
How am I going to develop my abilities as a Permaculture Teacher?
I’ll develop my abilities as a Permaculture teacher in the following ways:
- I will do careful observation of courses and teaching styles in order to inform my teaching
- I will discuss the ToTs course with people who attended
- I will develop my understanding of the design cycle by continuing to work on my diploma and discuss what I am doing with friends and mentors
- I will read (and possibly buy) the Permaculture Teacher’s Guide
- I will read Aranya’s guide to Permaculture design
- I will develop an online compendium of examples of projects which demonstrate the Permaculture Principles – with a special focus on non-land based projects
Becoming a Permaculture teacher is one of my diploma projects. You can find out where I am up to with it here – https://bethspermaculturediploma.wordpress.com/category/teaching-permaculture/. Here is how I see it fitting into my diploma:
- Teaching Permaculture will help to embed and develop my own understanding of the principles and design cycle.
- Teaching Permaculture will help me to develop a sustainable livelihood which is the ultimate goal of my diploma.
|14th January||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme||I will miss this meeting but will ask for a full run down of what happened.|
|20th January||Meet regarding second observation|
|28th and 29th January||Second Observation||Themed observation of the intro course.|
|February||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme||Focus on our observations…|
|January/February/March||Meeting with Jan and other diploma apprentices||To discuss projects/strategies/how things are going|
|March||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme||Focus on our observations…|
|February/March||Observation of other intro course||Possibly Designed Visions.|
|April (??)||Teach session on Permaculture Principles on BPT intro course|
|April (post teaching)||Mentoring session with Hedvig||Session to take place once I have had the chance to think over what went well and what could have been improved about the teaching I did. Look at lesson plans and how they could be improved for the future. Look at different ways of developing teaching.|
|April||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme|
|May||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|June||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|July||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|August||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|3rd – 7th August||Observation of Patrick Whitefield Intro course (hopefully…)||Will need to contact PW about this. Have contacted him before about another project, but not sure that he would remember me.|
|September||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|October||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|November||Mentoring session with Hedvig||A kind of ‘round up’ of the year and focuses for next year.|
|November||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme
|December||ALG meeting with section on Trainee teacher scheme